Image from Cycling Inform
Have you registered for the next race at the Bangalore Bicycle Championships yet ?
Correct us if wrong, but looks like this is the first Criterium in Bangalore. How awesome is that !
General race details
Generally the race duration (about one hour) is shorter than that of a traditional road race.
However, the average speed and intensity are higher.
The winner is the first rider to cross the finish line without having been lapped.
Racing bicycles used for criteriums are typically no different than those used in other mass-start road events.
Criteriums are good for live spectators as they allow them to see the riders pass by many times.
It is a very different style of racing but tons of fun.
Success in road criteriums require a mix of good technical skills
- the ability to corner smoothly, while holding your line
- riding safely with a large group on a short circuit
- exceptional sprint ability to attack other riders
- repeatedly accelerate hard from corners.
for the more technically inclined – cornering, counter-steering, sprinting, climbing, drafting, safety, overtaking, drafting and blocking are what you need to be good at.
To keep in mind while racing
- warm up well.
- dont be too close to the rider ahead. Keep some distance.
- avoid the dreaded pedal kiss of death – keep the pedal up when you corner.
- remember there are lots of first timers.
- ride at your optimal candence.
- warm up well.
- go over the course and plan your ride.
Shucks. We're sorry this post was not that useful
How can we improve this post for you?
WHAT I LOVE ABOUT CYCLING
I love riding my bike. Whether it’s a simple commute, a high-intensity road race, a jaw-grinding brevet, fixie rides thru packed Indian city or a kick-ass technical single track – I love it all. Apart from riding bicycles, I love being all geeky and know everything there is to know about bicycles, technology, bike fit, and service.
I started BUMSONTHESADDLE to share this passion for cycling.
DISCIPLINE: Partial towards MOUNTAIN BIKING but love it all
CURRENT BIKE(S): Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Tarmac, Pure Cycles Original
DREAM BIKE: S-Works Epic HT & S-Work Roubaix
OTHER PASSIONS: Technology, Photography, Baking, Travel, and Reading