a shot of a biker in Central Park, New York city – shot by Harsha
Over the last year or so we have seen, met and spoken to hundreds of bikers. Bikers from Bangalore, outside Bangalore and outside the country too. We have been writing about biking, dealing with bikes and trying to push biking in Bangalore City. And I thought things were good.
Until I experienced biking in New York.
Wow. Central Park is a sight to behold. There are hundreds (Im not kidding) of bikers, on really good bikes, with really good equipment – all racing. These are normal day to day people, who go for their day jobs, but don their biking apparel in the evening and bike out ! I just cannot imagine this scene in India. Anytime soon at least.
There are lot more battles to be fought
- Cheap bikes wont get you there. People need to be educated.
- Easy Access to good stuff – bikes, equipment, people, trainers etc etc
- Events to spur such investments
- Overall awareness about fitness.
- More brands to enter the Indian market and increase competition
Things which fill me with hope when I compare New York and Bangalore
- A common misconception that cycling is dangerous in India because of lack of cycling lanes and crazy traffic. The traffic in New York is equally crazy and I dont see too many cycling lanes here too.
- A Trek here costs pretty much what it would cost back home.
Some more time. And we should get there.
More cycling pics here and here
Shucks. We're sorry this post was not that useful
How can we improve this post for you?
WHAT I LOVE ABOUT CYCLING
I love riding my bike. Whether it’s a simple commute, a high-intensity road race, a jaw-grinding brevet, fixie rides thru packed Indian city or a kick-ass technical single track – I love it all. Apart from riding bicycles, I love being all geeky and know everything there is to know about bicycles, technology, bike fit, and service.
I started BUMSONTHESADDLE to share this passion for cycling.
DISCIPLINE: Partial towards MOUNTAIN BIKING but love it all
CURRENT BIKE(S): Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Tarmac, Pure Cycles Original
DREAM BIKE: S-Works Epic HT & S-Work Roubaix
OTHER PASSIONS: Technology, Photography, Baking, Travel, and Reading