June 26, 2017 by admin
We’ve rounded up the the best deals we have going at our June Warehouse Sale.
Remember, its free shipping across India till the end of this month.
Lights are an important purchase for any cyclist – recreational, endurance or the city commuter. You get the basic safety lights that enable others to see you or the more standard lights which illuminate your path and ensure you are visible at all times.
Good ones are typically weather proof, have great lighting paths, can take a bit of abuse and also have great visibility and battery life. Definitely worth getting a good pair of lights that will not only save your back, but will also save you a buck along the road.
Everyone needs a good tube and this is the best time to stock up on em! We have some good deals on a wide range of quality tubes from Schwalbe and Specialized.
Good tubes roll better, last longer and tend to be a lot lighter giving you a much better ride.
3. BIKE CARE – lubricants, bike wash and frame polish
The rains have started and this typically means wear and tear of components if you’re not careful. A well maintained bike is safer to ride, a smoother ride and most importantly has lower maintenance costs over the years.
- Pedros Syn Lube – the perfect wet weather lube. Looking to ride in the rain? This is the lube for you
- Pedros Chain J – all weather lubricant. The perfect go to lube if you’re looking at one lube that does the job
- Pedros Go! – dry weather lube with low dust attraction
- Pedros Green Fizz – bike wash to ensure your frame and components are sparkling at all times
- Pedros Bike Lust – frame polish to ensure your frame is always gleaming and protected from the elements too.
- Pedros Degreaser 13 – ensure your chain is free of dirt and grime and to strip the the older grimy lube before you apply a fresh coat
- Pedros Chain Pig – watch the pig eat up the muck without getting your hands all yucky!
Check out our reviews on the Pedro’s chain lubricants to understand which bicycle lubricant best suits your riding.
4. BOTS CYCLING JERSEY
Quality, comfort and style – our jersey is designed and manufactured keeping you, the rider, in mind. What’s more, the quirky Indian design on the back is surely going to get some heads turning and faces smiling. Grab one of these and add some style to your everyday riding! Fanta Orange and Maazaa Yellow color options.
5. ASS SAVERS
Tired of sitting at the office with a wet ass all day just because it rained this morning? Not ready to burden your bike with fenders? Relax. Its finally here. Ass Savers – the clever minimalistic bicycle mudguard that’s there when you need it, gone when you don’t.
Its always useful to have a small tool tucked away into your saddle bag along with a tube, a patch kit and some money while you’re out riding so that you can perform quick road side maintenance incase of issue on your ride.
7. BIKE RACKS
Bike racks are useful to get your bike out of the city without damaging or dirtying your car. Especially with the rains coming up, its a perfect time to head out of city limits, enjoy a good ride in the country side – road or trail – and then get your bike back into the city without messing up the car or damaging the bicycle.
- BnB Genesis Mini BC 64180-1 – super versatile, fits the widest range of cars shapes and sizes. Holds 1 bicycle
- BnB Trunk Mount Carrier Genesis – super versatile, fits the widest range of cars shapes and sizes. Holds 3 bicycles
8. TIRES AND SEALANTS
We have a range of kickass tires for you mountain bikers at some great price points. The best tires can magically tranform your ride as they are the only things in touch with the ground. Good tires can make your ride a whole lot faster, safer and more controlled. Well designed ones also have some level of puncture protection at the same time are light and have great traction.
9. SADDLE BAGS
Every bicycle needs a saddle bag to ensure you don’t need to stuff your pockets with small items out on a ride. Not only are your important things safer, but its a lot simpler to have everything secured out of the way so that you can easily reach them when you really need it.
10. PERFORMANCE ROAD BICYCLES
An offering of our fastest road bicycles in the sale. The Specialized Tarmac is for the rider looking to squeeze every drop of speed out of his or her machine and the Specialized Roubaix is all performance but with a dash of comfort to take on those longer rides.
June 3, 2017 by admin
June is awesome – fantastic weather for riding! And we have an event packed month to help you enjoy it to the fullest. Head over to our events page (website / Facebook) and sign up for events to stay current on what’s happening.
We’re nurturing our events page (bumsonthesaddle.com/events) to track and share all cycling events and rides in Bangalore to ensure riding miles are even simpler to achieve. Keen to have your event shared with the Bangalore cycling community? Let us know!
As a cyclist, completing your first 100km ride is always a exciting achievement. We’re super excited about the BOTS100 and how we can share that achievement with a ton of other riders.
May 11, 2017 by Suraj LN Swamy
In today’s fast paced life, it’s quite important to handle basic maintenance without having to visit your local bike shop for small issues. Our bike maintenance workshops will get you thinking like a bike mechanic and build your confidence to work on your bicycle.
Our basic workshop — Basic Bicycle Maintenance (BBM) — is free for everyone. Run twice a month, we aim to teach basic terminology, riding best practices, basics of bicycle ownership, fixing a puncture and more.
You can also opt to deep dive by signing up for our advanced sessions, the Advanced Bicycle Maintenance sessions, to study major sub systems in isolation and discussing how to troubleshoot and fix.
- Call out terminologies of various parts of a bicycle
- Cleaning, Lubing & Fixing all parts of Drive train (Rear & front derailleur)
- Cleaning, Lubing & Fixing all parts of Brake (Rear & front)
- Aligning a minor – moderate bends in wheel
- Wash your bicycle like Pro-mechanics
- Box & Un-box your bicycle for domestic & International travel
WHO IS IT FOR?
Our workshops benefit everyone who owns & rides a bicycle — road bikers, mountain biker, bicycle touring enthusiasts, etc. It’s not designed for a specific bicycle / style of riding. Heck, it even benefits non-riders who are simply curious to learn more about bicycle mechanics!
Our Basic Bicycle Maintenance sessions are conducted on the 2nd Saturday & Sunday of every month. Advanced Sessions have specific dates
- 14 May: Advanced Bicycle Maintenance | Brakes
- 20 & 21 May: Basic Bicycle Maintenance
- 27 May: Advanced Bicycle Maintenance | Front Derailleur
- 3 June: Advanced Bicycle Maintenance | Rear Derailleur
- 10 & 11 June: Basic Bicycle Maintenance
- 18 June: Advanced Bicycle Maintenance | Basic Wheel Truing
- 25 June: Advanced Bicycle Maintenance | Boxing & Un-boxing
Sign-up for our workshops here – https://store.bumsonthesaddle.com/collections/bots-bike-school
May 4, 2017 by admin
May is an exciting month! As a company we have decided to stay a lot more connected, share more awesome cycling and work harder on inspiring our fans to ride their bikes. Also ride a lot more as a company.
Going forward, you can find ALL cycling events that we conduct on our events page – http://bumsonthesaddle.com/events
Our weekly rides are designed for individuals of all skill levels. Our ride leaders are knowledgeable, personable, and care about helping you achieve your riding goals.
SATURDAY TRAIL RIDES
All Saturdays (6AM) – kick off from the Specialized Concept Store
We will be hitting trails every Saturday. A suspension on your bicycle is recommended, mountain bikes preferred. Always Want to give mountain biking a shot? Here’s an opportunity to explore and learn from more experienced mountain bikers.
SUNDAY ROAD RIDES
All Sundays (6AM) – kick off from the Specialized Concept Store
We’re hitting Tarmac on ALL Sundays. A majority of interior rural roads, we aim to cover about 65kms up & down. Road (or Hybrid) bikes recommended. Mountain Bikers are welcome to suffer too :)
BREAKFAST RIDE – kick off from BOTS Jayanagar
Sunday, 7 May (7:30AM)
Sunday, 21 May (7:30AM)
A casual city ride to enjoy the joy of cycling! Suitable for beginners. All non-motorised wheels are welcome.
Remember, Helmets MUST for all riding!
ps: we’re constantly on the lookout for ride leaders, energetic happy folks who are keen to increase the cycling population in the city by helping grow quality ride opportunities in Bangalore city. Keen to join us? Let us know! We need you!
OTHER EXCITING EVENTS
BOTS EXPERT SERIES: RIDING THE PARIS ROUBAIX
Sunday, 7 May (5:30PM) – Specialized Concept Store, Infantry Road
A fantastic opportunity to meet Vivek Radhakrishnan and hear about everything that transpired leading up to him finishing the 2017 Paris Roubaix Challenge – his training, nutrition and strategy to tackle the roughest cobbles on the Pro racing circuit.
BERGAMANIA WEEKEND – RE-LAUNCHING THE BERGAMONT BRAND
Saturday, 13 May (6:30AM) – MTB demo rides inside Turahalli forest followed by breakfast and brand launch at BOTS Jayanagar
Sunday, 14 May (10:30AM) – Demo rides of all Bergamont bicycles
Yup, the awesome German brand is back and with a bang! Awesome bikes and some truly kick-ass pricing.
BASIC BIKE MECHANICS WORKSHOP
20 May, Saturday (11AM) – BOTS Jayanagar
21 May, Sunday (3-4:30PM) – Specialized Concept Store, Infantry Road
These sessions teach you the basics on bicycle ownership. We’ve been running them free of cost for years to ensure the cycling community in Bangalore comes across as the smartest cyclists in the country! Folks love it and we would love to share this with every single biker in the city. Share the word! Its free and its awesome.
ADVANCE BIKE MECHANICS WORKSHOP
14 May, Sunday (3-4:30PM) – Specialized Concept Store, Infantry Road
27 May, Saturday (11-12:30PM) – BOTS Jayanagar
28 May, Sunday (3-4:30PM) – Specialized Concept Store, Infantry Road
The Advanced Bike Mechanics workshops are technical sessions that teaches mechanical fundamentals of bicycle repair for home maintenance of your bicycle. Learn to think and operate like a bicycle mechanic! Must attend for anyone keen to do some DIY maintenance on their bikes
28 May, Sunday (8PM) – BOTS Jayanagar
Casual get together to watch a cycling movie! These are typically BYOB and generally quite not-so-boisterous. Always nice to share a slice of cycling happening elsewhere in the world.
Remember, we’re quite active on Facebook & Instagram. Do follow us and let us know what you like and don’t like!
April 23, 2017 by Jacob John
The idea of flying across India with your bicycle might seem a bit intimidating, but it isn’t so if you know how. It is perfectly feasible to take your bikes on most airlines, the rules and regulations do vary from carrier to carrier. Most airlines require you to bag or box your bike, very few just allow you to remove the pedals, deflate tyres and turn the handle bars around.
Do watch the video on how to box your bike. Much simpler – visit your local bike shop for a professional touch and to also ensure your bike is safely packed and protected from scratches and any damage.
Tools you might require if you’re doing it at home
- Basic bicycle care – make sure your bike is clean before packing it!
- Pedros 15mm Pro Pedal Wrench
- Multi tools – to take apart and put together your bike at the destination
- Photo ID is mandatory.
- Weight (volumetric or actual, whichever is higher) of the box must not exceed 150 kilograms.
- The bicycle packed must be clean and the tires MUST be deflated.
- A declaration form mentioning that the box contains a non motorised bicycle and contains no batteries.
- Packing must be airworthy – no protruding or sharp contact points that might damage other articles around it.
- Be present 3 hours prior to departure for completing the documentation procedures.
- Double check with the airlines for insurance before flying.
|Name of the Airline||Cost/Kg||Maximum Box Dimension||Reporting Terminal at Bengaluru International Airport||Customer care|
|Jet Airways||Rs. 88/kg||84 x 84 centimeters||Jet Airways Cargo Terminal, Gate 2||08066784539|
|IndiGo Airlines||Rs. 56/kg||100 x 100 Centimeters||Menzies Cargo Aviation Terminal, IndiGo Counter||08047406002|
|Air India||Rs. 59/kg||125 x 182 Centimeters||Air India Air Freight Terminal||9480825154|
|SpiceJet||Rs. 62/kg||122 x 89 Centimeters||Shuttle 2, Menzies Cargo Aviation Terminal||9916010098|
WHAT IS VOLUMETRIC WEIGHT?
Some boxes end up occupying a LOT of space whereas the product ends up being very light (eg a Helmet). Volumetric weight is a pricing technique for commercial freight transport, which uses an estimated weight that is calculated from the length, width and height of a package. Do keep in mind, companies use the heavier of actual weight vs volumetric weight while billing you.
WHY SHOULD TIRES BE DEFLATED BEFORE FLYING?
Although not really necessary with bicycle tyres because of its small volume, its something most airlines insist. Leaving tyres inflated helps protect both tyre and rim from damage when the bike is handled/thrown around. Aim to reduce tire pressures by about 10-20PSI before boxing the bike.
COMPREHENSIVE BREAKDOWN OF THE REGULATIONS
Jet Airways :
- Cost – Rs.88/kilogram + Rs. 500 as a documentation fees + 15% as service tax.
- You are required to to be present 3 hours prior to departure for completing the documentation procedures at the Cargo terminal, Gate 2 at the Bengaluru International Airport.
- Jet Airways provides you with a 0.5% insurance on the value of the bicycle.
For further enquires on flying with your bicycle one can get in touch with the Jet Airways Cargo Terminal, Bangalore – 08066784539
Indigo Airlines :
- NO declaration form required from IndiGo Airlines.
- Cargo’s weighing between 1-15kgs is charged at Rs.2500 (Inclusive of all taxes) however, if the weight is more that 15 kgs the cost of carriage will be Rs. 56/kg.
- You are required to to be present 3 hours prior to departure for completing the documentation procedures at the Menzies Cargo Aviation Terminal, IndiGo Counter at the Bengaluru International Airport.
- IndiGo Airlines does not provide any insurance.
For further enquires on flying with your bicycle one can get in touch with the IndiGO Airlines Cargo Terminal, Bangalore – 08047406002
Air India :
- Dimensions of the box must be within 125x182x119 centimeters with the total weight NOT exceeding above 150 kilograms.
- Cost – Rs. 59/kg + Rs. 1000 as documentation fee + 15% service tax. For packages exceeding above 45 kilograms, it will calculated on a volumetric basis and the cost of carriage will be calculated based on the actual volumetric weight.
- You are required to to be present 3 hours prior to departure for completing the documentation procedures at the Air India Air Freight Terminal in the Bengaluru International Airport.
- Air India provides a 0.5% insurance after declaring the actual value of the bike or, you will be eligible for Rs. 450/kg without declaration.
For further enquires on flying with your bicycle one can get in touch with the Air India Airlines Cargo Terminal, Bangalore – 9480825154
- Packages below the volumetric weight of 50 kilograms is charged Rs. 3000 + handling charges. For packages above, will be charged and calculated according to the actual volumetric weight where the cost will be Rs. 62/kg. Total weight must not exceed above 150 kilograms.
- You are required to to be present 3 hours prior to departure for completing the documentation procedures at the Menzies Cargo Aviation Terminal, Shuttle 2 at Bengaluru International Airport.
- Spice Jet also provides transporting services for your bicycle from home to the airport for an additional cost.
- Spice Jet does not provide any insurance.
For further enquires on flying with your bicycle one can get in touch with the SpiceJet Cargo Terminal, Bangalore – 9916010098