April 23, 2017 by Jacob John
The idea of flying across India with your bicycle might seem a bit intimidating, but it isn’t so if you know how. It is perfectly feasible to take your bikes on most airlines, the rules and regulations do vary from carrier to carrier. Most airlines require you to bag or box your bike, very few just allow you to remove the pedals, deflate tyres and turn the handle bars around.
Do watch the video on how to box your bike. Much simpler – visit your local bike shop for a professional touch and to also ensure your bike is safely packed and protected from scratches and any damage.
Tools you might require if you’re doing it at home
- Basic bicycle care – make sure your bike is clean before packing it!
- Pedros 15mm Pro Pedal Wrench
- Multi tools – to take apart and put together your bike at the destination
- Photo ID is mandatory.
- Weight (volumetric or actual, whichever is higher) of the box must not exceed 150 kilograms.
- The bicycle packed must be clean and the tires MUST be deflated.
- A declaration form mentioning that the box contains a non motorised bicycle and contains no batteries.
- Packing must be airworthy – no protruding or sharp contact points that might damage other articles around it.
- Be present 3 hours prior to departure for completing the documentation procedures.
- Double check with the airlines for insurance before flying.
|Name of the Airline||Cost/Kg||Maximum Box Dimension||Reporting Terminal at Bengaluru International Airport||Customer care|
|Jet Airways||Rs. 88/kg||84 x 84 centimeters||Jet Airways Cargo Terminal, Gate 2||08066784539|
|IndiGo Airlines||Rs. 56/kg||100 x 100 Centimeters||Menzies Cargo Aviation Terminal, IndiGo Counter||08047406002|
|Air India||Rs. 59/kg||125 x 182 Centimeters||Air India Air Freight Terminal||9480825154|
|SpiceJet||Rs. 62/kg||122 x 89 Centimeters||Shuttle 2, Menzies Cargo Aviation Terminal||9916010098|
WHAT IS VOLUMETRIC WEIGHT?
Some boxes end up occupying a LOT of space whereas the product ends up being very light (eg a Helmet). Volumetric weight is a pricing technique for commercial freight transport, which uses an estimated weight that is calculated from the length, width and height of a package. Do keep in mind, companies use the heavier of actual weight vs volumetric weight while billing you.
WHY SHOULD TIRES BE DEFLATED BEFORE FLYING?
Although not really necessary with bicycle tyres because of its small volume, its something most airlines insist. Leaving tyres inflated helps protect both tyre and rim from damage when the bike is handled/thrown around. Aim to reduce tire pressures by about 10-20PSI before boxing the bike.
COMPREHENSIVE BREAKDOWN OF THE REGULATIONS
Jet Airways :
- Cost – Rs.88/kilogram + Rs. 500 as a documentation fees + 15% as service tax.
- You are required to to be present 3 hours prior to departure for completing the documentation procedures at the Cargo terminal, Gate 2 at the Bengaluru International Airport.
- Jet Airways provides you with a 0.5% insurance on the value of the bicycle.
For further enquires on flying with your bicycle one can get in touch with the Jet Airways Cargo Terminal, Bangalore – 08066784539
Indigo Airlines :
- NO declaration form required from IndiGo Airlines.
- Cargo’s weighing between 1-15kgs is charged at Rs.2500 (Inclusive of all taxes) however, if the weight is more that 15 kgs the cost of carriage will be Rs. 56/kg.
- You are required to to be present 3 hours prior to departure for completing the documentation procedures at the Menzies Cargo Aviation Terminal, IndiGo Counter at the Bengaluru International Airport.
- IndiGo Airlines does not provide any insurance.
For further enquires on flying with your bicycle one can get in touch with the IndiGO Airlines Cargo Terminal, Bangalore – 08047406002
Air India :
- Dimensions of the box must be within 125x182x119 centimeters with the total weight NOT exceeding above 150 kilograms.
- Cost – Rs. 59/kg + Rs. 1000 as documentation fee + 15% service tax. For packages exceeding above 45 kilograms, it will calculated on a volumetric basis and the cost of carriage will be calculated based on the actual volumetric weight.
- You are required to to be present 3 hours prior to departure for completing the documentation procedures at the Air India Air Freight Terminal in the Bengaluru International Airport.
- Air India provides a 0.5% insurance after declaring the actual value of the bike or, you will be eligible for Rs. 450/kg without declaration.
For further enquires on flying with your bicycle one can get in touch with the Air India Airlines Cargo Terminal, Bangalore – 9480825154
- Packages below the volumetric weight of 50 kilograms is charged Rs. 3000 + handling charges. For packages above, will be charged and calculated according to the actual volumetric weight where the cost will be Rs. 62/kg. Total weight must not exceed above 150 kilograms.
- You are required to to be present 3 hours prior to departure for completing the documentation procedures at the Menzies Cargo Aviation Terminal, Shuttle 2 at Bengaluru International Airport.
- Spice Jet also provides transporting services for your bicycle from home to the airport for an additional cost.
- Spice Jet does not provide any insurance.
For further enquires on flying with your bicycle one can get in touch with the SpiceJet Cargo Terminal, Bangalore – 9916010098