For those of you who have been commuting on their bikes regularly, riding in the rain can be a really fun and fulfilling experience. But one thing that tends to be a bit of a bummer (pardon the pun), is having a wet backside at the end of it all. I mean, imagine heading out to meet your friends for a casual get-together and you end up at the venue with a trail of dirt on your bum. Not only is that embarrassing, but also feels totally uncomfortable.
One common solution is to fit a full-fledged bicycle mudguard that can block everything that’s kicked up by your tire.
Full coverage mudguards aren’t usually the most visually appealing option for your bike though. They rank high on effectiveness as they hug the tire and offer the most amount of coverage for the front and rear tires.
Apart from aesthetic reasons, weight can also be a factor to consider while choosing some form of protection for your bike and your back.
We have a solution – It’s functional and it’s got a quirky name. Introducing Ass Savers. The clever minimalistic bicycle mudguard that’s there when you need it, gone when you don’t.
Ass Savers is a Company that started off initially as a joke and is now recognized by millions of cyclists all over the world. Being the first mudguards to be used by professional cyclists in the UCI World Tour, it has proven that a good idea can go far.
The humble Ass Saver is a simple yet highly effective product. It is essentially a small mudflap that slots in, underneath your saddle and sticks out just enough to keep your posterior dry. The device simply slides in between your saddle rails from the back and stays there thanks to the patented FLIP TIP Technology.
WHAT DO “ASS SAVERS” DO?
Ass Savers are essentially mini mudguards. They’re incredibly simple to install, easy to use. It is a universal design fits all saddles.
At first glance, the Ass Saver may not look like it does its job well. It looks small and seems insufficient. However, when the Ass Saver is fit properly – it has “creased lines” that are meant to be folded and bent to a certain extent so that it can be structurally strong and rigid.
Due to its small form factor, the Ass Saver is practically unnoticeable and does not hinder the bike’s functionality in any way. It’s almost weightless and super sleek. There are a bunch of sizes, styles, and colors on offer to add your own personal touch. Custom graphics and colors are also a possibility for those who want a personal touch to their bikes.
- Say bye-bye to wet bums! These ass-savers do just what they claim; prevent your bum (and your back) from getting a trail of dirt on it.
- Easy to install and remove. The instructions printed on each one of these are clear and you can get them mounted on your bikes within thirty seconds.
- Do not damage the aesthetics of the bike like how a fender does. (but again, that’s a very personal thing)
- Sits well under the saddle. Does not flap and neither does it get loose upon hitting a rough patch on the road.
- Light in weight. Almost negligible in weight actually (for all you weight-conscious roadies out there)
THE NOT SO GOOD
- It does not protect the back of your thighs or the lower half of your legs. But then, it’s an ass saver, not a fender.
- As I mentioned above, it does not offer complete coverage to the rider, so if someone is dressed to go to work, then you might want to consider a change pair of clothes once you reach your workplace.
WHICH ASS SAVER DO I NEED FOR MY BIKE?
1. ASS SAVER REGULAR
These Ass Savers are perfect for road bikes.
- Keeps your butt dry on wet roads
- Patented FLIP-TIP attachment system
- Easy to mount, requires no tools
- Fits every standard rail saddle, also with carbon rails.
- Suitable for tire widths between 23-35 mm
Whether you commute to work or race often, the Ass Saver Regular will keep your butt dry and dramatically increase the comfort on wet rides. The latest and greatest 4th Generation Ass Savers feature the new FLIP-TIP attachment system. Once fitted, simply fold up the tip that is visible under your saddle. It will securely lock itself to the saddle rails.
2. ASS SAVER FENDER BENDER
These Ass Savers are perfect for Road and Gravel bikes.
- Perfect for Bikepacking or Gravel biking due to extended coverage
- Super lightweight, only 61 grams
- Protects your bags from dirt and water
With greater length and width, it’s well suited for longer wheelbase bikes. A single midway fold still allows for convenient minimalistic storage along with maximum sturdiness for when the terrain gets rough.
The Fender Bender comes along with frame protection stickers from 3M. A material originally developed to protect helicopter propeller blades from sand storms in the desert, it ensures that no scratches will be made to your beloved bike.
3. ASS SAVER BIG
These are meant for Mountain Bikes or Gravel Road Bikes.
- Suitable for tire widths between 30-50 mm
- Great for gravel or dirt
Designed especially for wide tires, the Ass Savers Big is here to protect you and your bike from mud and dirt all day long. Use it with your MTB, gravel bike or your daily commuter.
4. ASS SAVER MUDDER
These are meant for Mountain Bikes or Gravel Bikes.
- Easy to mount with included zip ties
- Fits all suspension forks with a fork bridge
- Super lightweight, only 18 grams
- Suitable for all wheel sizes
A super sleek and cleverly designed front fork-mounted mudflap. The design features innovative tire-hugging deflectors that can be adjusted so that virtually no mud can pass through. The Mudder is also lightweight and blends in perfectly with your front fork. The purpose of the Mudder is to keep your eyes muck-free as you go down a muddy trail at full speed.
ASS SAVER INSTALLATION
How To Save Your Ass – Instructions on how to properly install your Ass Saver to your saddle.
Ass Savers – The clever minimalistic bicycle mudguard that’s there when you need it, gone when you don’t – definitely proves that a great idea can go uber far!
Apart from being easy to use and being very effective. Ass Savers are incredibly aesthetically pleasing products. A variety of models and color options are available.
Ass Savers is always innovating and coming out with newer products and funkier designs.
Shucks. We're sorry this post was not that useful
How can we improve this post for you?
WHAT I LOVE ABOUT CYCLING
I’m an avid mountain biker and I like riding fast and flowy singletrack. As I keep riding, I continuously work on honing my riding skills. I like to ride whenever possible, especially with friends. I also like to influence folk into getting to ride more often.
Working on bicycles has also been a keen interest of mine for quite some time.
DISCIPLINE: Mountain biking and Road biking
CURRENT BIKE: RockRider 5.3 & Specialized Allez Elite DSW
DREAM BIKE: Santa Cruz 5010