ARE YOU A VICTIM OF BIKE THEFT?
Don’t despair. Here are 10 things you can do to get your bike back!
- Spring into action immediately!
- Check around the area incase the thief has stashed the bike to pick it up later
- File a FIR with the police (more details below). Record identifying features on the report – accessories, photographs and the frame number!
- Register your bike as stolen on the BOTS Stolen Bike registry
- Visit bike shops in your area and request them to keep their eyes open
- Post up stolen bike flyers around the area it was stolen in
- Share the loss with friends, social media, local bike shops and friends.
- Post up on local bike forums and alert the cycling community
- If you have bike insurance, time to reach out to the insurance company
- Trawl forums where second hand products are sold. Keep an eye on all bicycle sales
Shamala’s bike was recently stolen from her house and her experience till date
- She registered with a police station close to her house. Although they were not serious initially, the price of the bike made them sit up and take notice
- Once the FIR was lodged, 2 cops come to her place and enquired around
- She was instructed not to call the cops and told that they would call her if they had any updates
- The stolen bike was registered on the stolen bike registry and shared with friends and the cycling community
- She made a flyer of the bike with a reward and posted it at bike shops around her locality
Filing a FIR (first Information Report) – Useful info
- A great writeup on Citizen matters on how to lodge a FIR
- How to lodge a FIR
- FIR basics
- Bangalore Police on Facebook
- Incase you were asked to pay a bribe
How helpful was this article?
Click a star to rate.
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
Shucks. We're sorry this post was not that useful
How can we improve this post for you?
WHAT I LOVE ABOUT CYCLING
I love riding my bike. Whether it’s a simple commute, a high-intensity road race, a jaw-grinding brevet, fixie rides thru packed Indian city or a kick-ass technical single track – I love it all. Apart from riding bicycles, I love being all geeky and know everything there is to know about bicycles, technology, bike fit, and service.
I started BUMSONTHESADDLE to share this passion for cycling.
DISCIPLINE: Partial towards MOUNTAIN BIKING but love it all
CURRENT BIKE(S): Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Tarmac, Pure Cycles Original
DREAM BIKE: S-Works Epic HT & S-Work Roubaix
OTHER PASSIONS: Technology, Photography, Baking, Travel, and Reading