October 11, 2011 by Rohan Kini
Definitely a must read.
How we quieten noisy beasts
- Your noisy bike
- Allen keys
- A clean cloth
- Torque wrench
- Some patience and an open mind
- Understand if the noise is rhythmic or sporadic. Rhythm indicates that the noise would be coming from either the wheel or the crank/pedal interface. Sporadic would mean its a torquing/load issue.
- Sit on the bike and pedal normally – if you hear the noise it’s mostly something making contact with another part on the bike.
- Stand on the bike and pedal hard – if you hear the noise it’s mostly some component thats slightly loose or needs cleaning and re-greasing and re-torquing. The Handlebar/Stem bolt interface is a common culprit.
- Sit and pedal hard – if you hear the noise now its mostly something to do with the seat post/saddle.
Common culprits – Seat posts, Stems, Loose quick releases, Bottom Brackets.
Other good reads on how to take care of a noisy bicycle
Category Tips & Tricks | Tags: